If Fido and Kitty are important parts of your family, you are not alone. According to the Wall Street Journal, 68% of American households had at least one pet and spending on pets is at all time high. So it is no surprise that there is an increasing demand for pet-friendly home design in custom homes. Check out these suggestions to help make your pet comfortable and safe, and your home easier to maintain.
- Dedicated Pet Space. If you can afford the space, some luxury home buyers are designing their new homes with dedicated rooms or spaces for their pets.
- Pet Spas and Wash Stations. Specially designed washing and grooming stations, often located in a mud room or by an exterior entrance, are convenient features for pet owners. A sink can accommodate small to medium pets, while larger dogs may require a washing stall. Remember to include storage designed for pet leashes and other supplies.
- Feeding Areas. A well-placed feeding area for food and water bowls is important in a pet-friendly home design. Locate it in an area there they won’t get knocked over and you can also store bags of pet food.
- Convenient Ways In and Out. Some pet owners like the convenience of a pet door. But remember that if your pet can come back in, so can unwanted pests like rats and raccoons that are attracted by pet food.
- Pet Friendly Flooring. Resilient flooring like tile, concrete (with an epoxy coating to help prevent slipping), laminate, and luxury vinyl tile are all good choices because they are easy to clean and non-porous. If you choose wood flooring, select harder woods. Soft woods, like pine, are easily scratched by pet nails. Remember urine accidents need to be cleaned up immediately to prevent damage to the wood. Carpets should low pile and stain resistant.
- Washable Paint. Because your pet will likely bring in dirt or rub body oils again walls, make sure you use a washable interior paint that is washable. Choose an eggshell, satin, or semi-gloss sheen.
- Interior Pet Gates. Even though you love your pet, sometimes there are spaces that are off-limits. Custom designed interior doors, like a dutch door, or built-in pet gates offer a great solution.
Building a custom home allows you to easily incorporate some or all of these pet-friendly home design features. DaVinci Homes realizes that each home buyer is unique and that your home should be also. If you are ready to get more information on a great Utah custom home builder call Dave at 801-971-6650.
DaVinci Homes Mission Statement
Our mission is to be Utah’s premier custom and semi-custom home builder through superior customer satisfaction and exceptional building practices. We strive to make the home building process clear and enjoyable. We believe in helping our clients enhance their lives by helping create the home of their dreams.