Moving has been on my mind the last few weeks. DaVinci Homes recently moved to a brand new office and we’ve experienced first hand how much work it is. Moving to a new home is no different. So here is our moving checklist to help make your move to a brand new custom home a little easier.
- Hire a moving company. Unless you are planning on moving yourself, plan early to hire a moving company. Always get at least 3 estimates and compare what each estimate includes. And be sure to check references. A google search of the company you are considering using will usually bring up helpful reviews from previous customers.
- Create a “Moving” binder. This is a place to keep all of your estimates, inventories, receipts, notes, and other documents in one place. Keep this binder with you during the actual move so you can refer to it as needed. There are lots of ideas online.
- Collect important records. Make sure you get school records, medical and dental records, pharmacy prescriptions, and other information that you will need once you get to your new location.
- Send change of address notifications. It is helpful if you start making a list (for a couple of months prior to your move) of everyone you need to notify as you collect your mail. These may include:
- Family and Friends
- Subscriptions including magazines and newspapers
- Place(s) of employment
- Post Office
- Insurance Companies
- Banks, Credit Unions, Lenders, and Investment Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Professional Organizations
- Government Institutions such as the Social Security Administration, Veterans Affairs, and Division of Motor Vehicles
- Doctors and Dentists
- Memberships including religious organizations and social clubs
- Notify utility companies. Let your existing utility services know of your your upcoming move. Set up service in your new home. Don’t forget:
- Electric Company
- Gas Company
- Phone Service, Land and/or Mobile
- Cable/Satellite Services
- Internet Services
- Trash and Recycling Services
- Sort. Go through your belongings. Sell or donate those you don’t want to move. Throw away items of no value.
- Use up. Plan to use up perishables and items like toilet paper and cleaning supplies.
- Plan for pets, plants and hazardous materials. Most moving companies will not transport your pets, plants, or hazardous items. If you plan on taking them with you to your new home, you will need transport them yourselves. Be aware that you may not be able to take some plants across state lines. Hazardous materials include paint, flammable items like lighter fluid and charcoal, and anything explosive like ammunition.
- Plan for valuables. Important documents, cash, jewelry and other valuables should be separated out and moved to your new home personally.
- Pack and label. Mark each box with the contents and the room they will end up in. It’s also a helpful idea to number your boxes and keep an inventory of the boxes and their contents.
Whether you are planning on moving across town or across the country, Utah custom home builder DaVinci Homes would like to help you create the perfect home for you.
DaVinci Homes Mission Statement
Our mission is to be Utah’s premier custom and semi-custom home builder through superior customer satisfaction and exceptional building practices. We strive to make the home building process clear and enjoyable. We believe in helping our clients enhance their lives by helping create the home of their dreams.